Thursday, October 29, 2009

Omega

Training Room (spot me standing in the background)

All things (good or bad) must come to an end” is a “remix” of an old English proverb. May 2009 witnessed the end of my teaching career. By mid May I knew that my 3 month stint would come to a stereotypic end, a sentimental farewell speech and exchange of mail ids (never to be used J). Instead, there was something challenging in store.

Few days before my retirement, the centre head informed me that Larsen & Toubro has approached him to arrange, 2 day training on Executive MBA (offered by IIM A). He wanted me to conduct the same. Both of us met the L&T officials and negotiated on the terms and conditions. During the meeting, we were informed that the training was for 17 senior managers with an average work experience of 8+ years. The managers would fly across India to attend the training.

The training comprised of the following modules

  1. Quantitative
  2. Logical Reasoning & Data Interpretation
  3. Verbal
  4. Emotional Quotient/Personal Interview

Each module was of 4 hrs duration. I was responsible for 1st, 2nd and 4th modules. Handouts were prepared for all participants. A 2 hour simulation test was also prepared, to simulate the actual exam. Quantitative and Verbal modules were to be covered on Day 1 while the remaining on the following day.

Different View of Training Room

All the 17 managers were friendly and made me feel comfortable. I was surprised by their exuberance to understand new concepts. In fact, some of them had better concept clarity than regular CAT students. The training was effective as 10 of the 17 managers cleared the exam and interview combined.

The entire experience of conducting a corporate training gave me utmost satisfaction. My almost 3 month experience was a roller coaster ride. I got an opportunity to teach, conduct seminars and undertake corporate training. Although, I am retiring, but I will be following the profession with interest and I shall indeed be back.



No comments:

Post a Comment